Sunday, December 21, 2008

NEW FEATURE ON URBAN REDNECK... SUNDAY RECIPE SWAP...

I doubt this will work because only about a dozen folks stumble through my foolishness on this blog, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Every Sunday, I'm gonna ax y'all to share a recipe with me. I never was much of a cook, but I am a pretty good eater, and I can pass 'em along to The Mrs.

Actually, as I've gotten older I've learned to enjoy cooking...I make a mean WalMart "Great Value Hash Browns" for breakfast. And my "meatball sandwich" is still legendary in this household.

I'm gonna kick it off by asking for "Pie Recipes." Now, I want something sinful. If somebody gives me something like "Rhubarb Pie," or anything without sugar, I'll know that they are just ignorant and have wasted their time.

I'll kick it off with my personal favorite, "Buttermilk Pie." Some folks call it "Sugar Pie." It's kinda like a custard pie...really sweet, really easy, and guaranteed to expand your waistline.

I never was a big pie fan, but the first time I went to Arkansas to meet my future wife's Grandma I found one I liked. (Cecil, AR...near Ozark, about 50 miles from Fort Smith)

Grandma Ryker was about 70 years old then. She was a tough old gal. She was big, strong, ran about 150 head of cattle on her farm, bailed her own hay, and challenged me to an arm wrestling match the first day we were there. (I declined...I told her "It's taken me too long to win your granddaughter's heart. I'm not gonna mess it up by getting whipped by her Grandma." She laughed...we were good friends until she passed on.)

She made buttermilk pies. She looked at me and said, "Eat this. You'll like it." I said "yes ma'am." And she was right. Here it is.

Only bake this if you have a sweet tooth...like me. Very good, and very easy.
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs (whole)
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 unbaked pie shells
Combine flour, sugar & salt. Melt butter...add with eggs to first mixture - beating slightly with beater. Add buttermilk and vanilla - beat with spoon. Pour into shells. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes. That's a broad time range I know. Don't overcook, but make sure they're set good, that they don't jiggle, and you have a nice golden-brown top.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?