Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you know that you are desperate for friendship?

You invite yourself to be a "friend" on The Facebook!

I opened up my computer mailbox this morning, and discovered that I had invited myself to be my own friend on "The Facebook." Now, I have discussed my experiences with "The Facebook" once or twice before on this blog.

And truthfully, I had not looked at it in about a week. I normally only hit "The Facebook" when I receive some kind of invitation from users of "The Facebook." And this was an invitation that I just had to look into.

My first thought was, "Hey, am I a sleep-Facebook user? You know, kind of like a sleep-walker...doing junk in the middle of the night unknown to my conscious mind? Did I invite myself to be my friend during that dream last night while Abraham Lincoln and my Uncle Ross were pitching horseshoes?"

So, I hit the link, and discovered that I'm okay...for now. No, some fellow with my exact name invited me to be his "friend." So, I see that this fellow is 29 years old, lives in Del Mar, California, is single, is interested in "women, friendship, and whatever I can get." He is also ambivilent toward politics, and obviously not a Christian, Muslim, or anything else.

A link to his "parents" show that his father is also a Facebook member with 486 "friends." Interestingly, his father is a Vietnamese guy...I'm pretty sure he's a Vietnamese-American. But our shared name is in no way Asian...so, maybe it is a step-father. Dunno!

Maybe this fellow is trying to start some kind of an "Andy Reeves" club on "The Facebook." But honestly, I don't want to accept the invitation. So, I will not.

But if y'all want to do your good deed for the day, you can look this young fellow up and invite him to be your "friend." He doesn't seem to be too particular.

The only other thought I had about this was that maybe this boy doesn't know who his Daddy is, and is inviting everybody with a name similar to his in order to maybe find his Daddy. Maybe his Momma told him that he was named after his Daddy...who knows. I am about the right age to be his Daddy...but naaaaaaaaaaa. I'm a one woman man.

If any of y'all have experienced something like this, let me know, would ya'?

2 comments:

  1. If you hit the 'join' facebook link in that email...it automatically downloads your email address books and automatically finds the ones that are already on facebook to help you be 'friends' with them.

    I hate facebook. My oldest boys (one at college, one in the army) are both on FB and that's the only reason I have one. It's very much 'in your face' posting. Your page is not your 'own' as all your 'friends' can put links and quizzes and updates and a bunch of other junk on 'your' page.

    It is very much invasive of your privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Who, I learned early on not to hit any stray links on The Facebook pages.

    I joined Facebook as an experiment. And you are correct. "Friends" can put anything they want on your page. I did not make the mistake of sharing my e-mail list with Facebook...but I came pretty close to it.

    You have a son in the Army! God bless him! I have one in the Air Force, and one graduating from Basic Training at Ft. Benning, GA next week. (Army Reserve)

    I can't say that I "hate" Facebook. But I can't say I "love" it either.

    I have several friends that have become completely frustrated with it. They signed up in order to keep in touch with family, far and wide. Truthfully, e-mail probably works better. Or maybe a blog that requires all contributors/commenters to be registered, etc.

    But at this point, I'd give Facebook a C-, or maybe a D+ as far as usefulness for my purposes.

    By the way, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?