Sunday, September 20, 2009

What is a Furman?

Yesterday I posed that question, and got some really helpful answers. Thanks y'all!

But I have been yard-working most of the day, and all the while something has been nagging at me. I've been asking myself, "Self, there is something about Furman that you should know. What is it?"

I finally remembered that Furman lost something like 48 consecutive football games over 5 seasons back when I was a teenager. I have searched the worldwide computer for verification, but alas, I could find no confirmation. In fact, my extremely sharp memory remembered the old syndicated column "The Bottom Ten" by Steve Harvey that ran in our local newspaper.

Furman was #1 in the Bottom Ten for many years. If memory serves, there was one season (probably 1975) when they only scored 7 points...and according to Steve Harvey, it was only after a special slide presentation by their corch entitled "What Is An End Zone?"

Regardless, I knew that they were really bad at something at one time. But it looks like they've turned things around now, and are a formidable opponent...having won a National Championship in the game of football.

Yesterday, they trailed Missouri 42-0 at the half, but only ended up losing 52-12. I'm sure the Missouri faithful got to nail-biting there in the second half when their quarterback, Lisa Marston the Home Ec professor, throwed an interception to one of them Paladins. But Mizzou prevailed regardless.

Further internet investigation turned up this...10 Things You Didn't Know About Furman.

6 comments:

  1. Dude, that "What is an endzone" comment and the 10 Things made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Paul, something as funny as "What is an Endzone?" tends to stick in your memory no matter how long you live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SERIOUS?!?!?! I thought that was a JOKE!

    Oh NOES.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No man, I'm serious as a heart attack. I remember it like it was yesterday. Steve Harvey's column was just stinkin' hilarious...and ahead of it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one that I remember from my youth was Leonard's Losers on the radio. That used to slay me.

    Dang, true story. Humans are dumb.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?