Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday (oops! I missed it)

After a while, it becomes kinda foolish to say "how old" somebody would be today if they had lived. We do that ya' know. "Elvis would have been 75 today" is okay. And, you may get away with "Ronald Reagan would have been 99 today."

But, you can't get away with, oh say, "Eli Whitney would have been 245."

I don't think we've crossed that line yet with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He would have been 81 years old today yesterday.

For the third year at Andy's Place, we will post the video of his "I have a dream" speech.

Why? Because I like it. And, it's worth a listen, at least once a year, to remind us of what "vision" sounds like.

I can not put words in Dr. King's mouth, thoughts in a dead man's mind, nor emotions in a dead man's soul. But, I will restate that if Dr. King was still with us, I'd just have to believe that he would be highly dissatisfied.

Any visit to Detroit, or New Orleans, or Gary, Indiana, or Jackson, MS,or (you name the place), where it's leadership has sponged off the King legacy to the detriment of the negro (his words, not mine) must sadden the "true believer."

Regardless, they were stirring words delivered by one of the great orators of his time.

(I will once again implore Mr. Anonymous to refrain from his annual use of impolite racial language, and personal innuendo concerning me, and my Momma.)

8 comments:

  1. Dang, Dr. King would have only been 81? What does that make his luggage and sandwich boy, Jesse Jackson, like 75?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I do not know how old JJ is, and will not take the keystrokes to find out.

    I just know that...well, I ain't gonna say it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you think that I asked you, dude? I just always remember that photo of Dr. King and Ralph Abernathy on the balcony in Memphis, with Jesse behind them. It looks like Dr. King is saying, "Hey Jesse, after you get the luggage to the room, run down to the restaurant and grab Ralph and me a sammich, then iron my shirts and shine my shoes."

    Then he turns to Ralph and say, "Danged, Ralph, good help is so hard to find these days, where did you find that retard?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I remember that photo, too. JJ was definitely not the best Martin could have done.

    You know, I actually liked Ralph for a long time. But, he's kinda lost it in a lot of ways.

    Never liked JJ. Sammich boy...nyuk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check it: http://thestartingfive.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/assassination.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...yep, that's the one I was thinking of. I forgot that old Hosea was in that shot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on ya for posting MLK's speech. I was otherwise occupied that specific day back in '63, what with being busy... ALL danged day... getting inducted into the USAF. But I never forget the anniversary date of the speech, for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Buck! At least you've got a "marker" in time so you can recall the exact date on the calendar.

    I have posted this same video for 3 years now. And, should the Good Lord allow me to breathe 364 days longer, I will again.

    Say what they may about King...good, or ill...it still gives me goose bumps. I think the Cajun word is something like "flesance."

    Those were certainly interesting times in the US. And probably much more interesting for those serving in the military.

    Truthfully...I'm glad it was you, and not me. ;

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?