Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haitin Hell Hits Home!

Well, not exactly right here at Andy's Place...but pretty close. I have not apprised y'all of a close connection to the hell happening in Haiti up to now.

(I guess you could file this under the "what if, or what if NOT" tag)

Have I mentioned before that we have a future daughter-in-law? (Let's just use FDIL for brevity) It seems that I may have mentioned that before.

And, have I mentioned how much Pam and I love her? Hmmm...it seems that I may have casually mentioned it in the past.

Well, FDIL was about to begin her Junior year at Lynn University in Boca Raton, FL when she wandered back into Bossier City after many years...and fell head over heels for #3 son. I suppose that I should mention that the "fall" was mutual.

One day, I will coax her to write the whole story...but trust me...it is "one for the ages." (a broken down car...a hurricane that wouldn't quit...a house full of young folks, etc.)

Regardless, she ripped herself away from Phil, and finished the first semester of her Junior year at Lynn University. Then she moved here to NW Louisiana (next door to us) to be with Phil, and enrolled at LSU-Shreveport to finish her degree in English.

You may, or may not have heard that several students, and faculty from Lynn University were in Port-au-Prince at the time of the earthquake. It has made quite a bit of news on CNN & FOX...but the volume of news from hell comes in fiery buckets, so you may have missed it. Here is a recent article from the Sun-Sentinel.

Last night, #3 son and FDIL were here for dinner, and I learned a bit more about this all. (If I understood her right...and don't quote me) Every student at Lynn University is required to go on an overseas trip. The trips are "service oriented,"...organized by the University...target very poor countries...and are designed to give the students a close look at just what it's like outside of here, and an opportunity to serve.

Now, you can call this liberal mishmash if you want to...but I know that I really did not understand what "poor" was until I stepped outside our US borders. So, good idea or not...good policy or not...Lynn University (and I'm sure many other private U's) require this. In order to graduate, the student must "take the trip."

FDIL, as a Senior this year, would have been there in Haiti on this trip had she finished her studies at Lynn. In fact, her former roommate was scheduled to be on the trip, but fate prevented her from attending. There is great consternation at Lynn...and I think within FDIL over this all. There are still 4 students, and 2 faculty members not accounted for in the rubble of the Hotel Montana in Port-au-Prince.

Lynn University is providing regular updates. But, at this moment things look pretty bleak for any further "good news."

I feel for the students at Lynn. They are holding candle-light vigils. They are offering up prayers for the safe return of their friends, and teachers. What good does a vigil do? Dunno...But if it helps YOU...DO IT! In situations like this, I say, "whatever works!"

I'm just grateful that I'm not the Daddy that sits by the phone...waiting for news one way or another... Guts torn up...Tear ducts run dry...Running on empty...or one of their friends (like FDIL) pondering "what ifs."

I'm gonna post this video, just so y'all can see these missing folks. I think FDIL is having a rough week. If you've got a spare prayer, please throw it their way.

Man, they're young...

7 comments:

  1. Andy, my heart breaks for everyone involved. And if you don't mind, I want to link to this on my blog.

    Prayers going up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staci, if you ever ask permission to link to this place again...well...well...

    You know I'm a truly self-absorbed human that loves visitors... Humppph!

    Yeah, I'm with ya. It's tough all around. We've all seen a bunch of suffering...but it doesn't get any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Staci...btw...just to prove how self-absorbed I am, I acknowledged the future link...but not the prayers.

    Jeepers, I'm sorry. Thanks, kiddo. Thanks for the prayers. It's a mess out there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think having an oversea's visit is a good thing for any student. With that said, it does put them at risk for being in places like Haiti. They are beautiful young people and will be missed. MUD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely my prayers are with those beautiful kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with those young folks. I agree that a semester of service is a danged fine idea, and I don't think it's the sole provenance of liberals. But then again, there's that ol' saw about young/left, old/conservative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci, MUD, Patrick, Buck:

    Thanks to you all. I know that there is very little hope those youngsters will be found alive. It is so sad.

    I read in AOL news today another story about the parents and families holding out hope...

    As Buck, and MUD noted, it's not a "lib only" thing to serve the poor in the poorest of places. I've done it myself as a young person, and as a "not so young" person.

    And, it truly does help give you a right perspective on things. Well, thanks for y'all's prayers for those kids.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?