Friday, December 12, 2008

PROBABLY MY LAST CHANCE...

I've see this sight once before. It is something special to see. Yesterday, the Space Shuttle Endeavour landed at Barksdale Air Force Base (about a mile from my house) on it's way home to Florida from Edwards AFB in California. Endeavour was the replacement for Challenger.

Dangit, I missed it! I didn't know it was headed my way, or I would have tried...it's one impressive sight.

This is probably the last chance I'll get to see it as the Shuttle program is just about over.

But it's supposed to leave about 11:00 am. I'm gonna try to see it take off if I can catch a good spot to watch.



Photos from The Times of Shreveport article

2 comments:

  1. I done seent that. In 1983, too!

    They flew over Clinton, Mississippi way back when and that dang thing flies low, too. I guess that the pilots just know that at some point it has to crash, so they want the fall to be as short as possible.

    Trust me when I say, it looks weird and much, much too big to be airworthy. Kinda like driving with a mattress tied to the roof of your Toyota.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TD: I've been to Clinton, but I wasn't hauling a mattress at the time. I was working, and didn't have time for fun stuff like that.

    Seems like it was a pretty little town as I remember(at least the part I was working in). There was a beautiful college campus there I remember.

    You're right about that 747 piggyback, but we see B-52's every day. It's impossible for those things to fly...they'll never get 'em off the ground if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?