Monday, February 16, 2009

IT'S MONDAY..."ALL DAY LONG!"

Today has been a "real Monday." A "real Monday" is exactly the opposite of a "real Friday." If you don't know, a "real Friday" is that Friday that you get paid, and have the whole weekend off work.

I awoke this morning at 4 am as the victim of a home invasion. The invader was not necessarily threatening my life, or liberty, but it was threatening my pursuit of happiness. After several restless nights of battling flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, body aches, cough, & The Big D) I had finally had a full, quiet, peaceful 7 hours of sleep.

So, at 4 am when it invaded my bedroom, my first thought was to pull my weapon from the nightstand, and send the bastard right straight to hell. But I realized that I would likely wake The Mrs., and she's even worse off than me now (she's about 3 days behind me with this crud). So, I just touched the wretched thing's snooze button and gave myself some time to ponder the day.

As I laid there I realized that I might actually live. I felt about 50%. Now, on a normal day 50% would be reason enough to turn the clock off, and roll back over. But this is not a normal day...it's Monday. Monday is not Saturday, or Sunday...it's Monday. Monday is the day when all good fathers, husbands, providers, citizens, put aside all selfishness and hit the bricks. But I swear, I could find no motivation.

Then out of nowhere, I heard the words of the savior in my spirit, encouraging me. I knew then that I had to giddy-up and go.

Since The Mrs. is totally wasted, it fell to me to do her job and mine today. And if I must say, I did a pretty danged good job under the circumstances. Fortunately, it is President's Day, so I did not have to rouse our youngest and get him off to school...thank God.

So, I set about the task of getting back to business. It seems that all of our customers that had forgotten about us over the last year have remembered us...all at once! Yep...as I opened up my online order inbox at 4:30 am, I discovered that we are now about two to three weeks behind in our ability to fill all of the orders that came in over the weekend. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to God for the business...but I'm a stupid chump that can comfortably ask, "Why didn't all this business come before the grim reaper made a hard left down my street?"

I figure that we're overrun with orders now because Obama's stimulus plan has passed Congress. Folks must figure that things are gonna get a whole lot better now... Foolish, I know, but I'll take it.

So, away I went to begin the task of making a dent in this mountain of orders. I must admit that during the day working by myself (The Mrs. is still unable to move...laying in bed waiting for the Angels to come transport her 'cross the River Jordan) I got tired, achy again, and felt a little hopeless about a few things.

But there it was in my spirit...the words of the savior kept spurring me on to work. So, WORK I did. Actually, I had a few profound thoughts that will change your life...stuff about President's Day, Mardi Gras, fishing, and handicap license plates...but I'll have to tell y'all about it all when I'm better than the fraction of the 50% I started out with this morning.

I finally finished up about 5:00 pm (well, not finished...just quit), and now I must cook some supper for me, my 12-year-old, and for The Mrs. (swing low...sweet chariot).

Looking back at today I am truly grateful. At 4 am I wouldn't have given myself even odds to survive until now. These words of the savior have kept me going, and will strengthen me for tomorrow.

I share them with y'all because I love you. You may have to face a miserable day soon. Just remember...

Blank

5 comments:

  1. I had to listen to three Cult songs to get that outta ME haid. Dang. Hope the Mrs. perks up soon and I am glad you got some business, you need that income to help pay your patriotism installments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TD. I'll pass along your well wishes. You're right about the Joe Biden patriotism bills...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handicap license plates... I will be looking for that one!

    My observation is that about 75% are handed out to people that are just fat, and/or smoke and can't get their breath. Rather than parking further away and walking, they park right up front so they can get fatter and be rewarded for their diminished lung capacity.

    Another 20% or so seem to go to people who are so mentally challenged that they couldn't find a parking spot if it didn't have a blue sign on it.

    About 5% go to people that really need them.

    Then we have to look at actual use. At any given time, I think that about 60-70% of handicapped spaces are occupied by family members who use the tag so that they can get fat faster.

    It is another "entitlement" program for those that are just a bit better than the rest of us. At least in too many cases...

    My 90 year old mother could easily get one, but she shuns a handicap tag. Too proud? No, she doesn't think of herself as handicapped, even though she is breathless after a short walk. She looks at the walk as doing her good. She isn't looking for excuses, entitlements, or any other advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, 90 and still behind the wheel? Bet she drives as good as my grandmother at 88. Seriously, who knew a Cadillac could go three hundred miles an hour?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey TD...and Walt, for that matter...

    Walt's mother (my great aunt) will turn the big 9-0 in a few days, and she is an excellent driver. She comes from a long line of long living folks...sharp lady. Sounds like Ma Two Dogs might be the Danica Patrick of the Dentugrip set.

    Yeah Walt, my thoughts on handicapped plates were very similar to those that you wrote. Your Mom's attitude to resist one of those things does carry with it a certain amount of pride...the good kind.

    Actually, the post I had in mind compared the lazy, overweight, "oh, I hurt my back" crowd to a few tough souls that I've known that wouldn't be caught dead with one of those things on their car. Then in a stellar, almost magical way, I was going to weave words...crafting them together in ways never before read...and completely humiliate any proponent of the Fairness Doctrine.

    I know it sounds like a stretch...but it sounded real good in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?