Monday, May 25, 2009

MEMORIAL DAY.

As far as I know, I do not have even one relative or friend that died in the military service of the United States. But there is truly a place of deep reverence in my heart for those that did, and for the families they left behind.

I grew up during the Vietnam War, but it was over before I came of age to serve. I remember a little old widow lady that lived down on Loop Street here in Bossier. I was about 20 years old, and went down to her house to check a television that she had bought from our store. It was a minor problem that I got adjusted quickly. But I noticed on the mantle a picture of a very handsome young soldier.

I asked, "Is that your son?" For the next half hour I sat and listened as she told me all about him. How he played football, baseball, and ran track at the same High School I attended. I heard about the paper route he threw, the girls he dated, the pranks he and his buddies played, and what a joy he was to his teachers, friends, and neighbors...and to his Momma & Daddy.

And then I heard the story of how he died in Vietnam. She didn't tear up, but I did...

There is a place of reverence in my heart for these heroes. The football stadium at the High School I attended is named "Memorial Stadium." There is a large plaque outside with the names of students that were killed in action in WWII. I hope people don't just pass it by without trying to put a story together for each one of those boys.

Y'all have a good Memorial Day. I know I plan to.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like people tend to forget the real reason for the holiday - but you haven't and you've written, as usual, a memorable post. Have a great day, Andy!

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?