Saturday, June 20, 2009

THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF THE YEAR....

...DADDY'S DAY EVE!


If you don't know by now, I have four sons. They range in age from 28 to 13. And I love them with all the fierceness I can muster. "Daddy's Day Eve" became a tradition in our family many years ago.

Back in those old days when the three elder sons were still at home, dinner time was always an adventure. The Mrs. (bless her heart) was truly outnumbered, and outmanned. Our male foolishness, and high-testosterone level was enough to drive any sane lady crazy.

Ahhh....such good memories! Farting on cue, belching the alphabet, and (of course) my assertion that there are really only two important days of the year that children should be excited about. 1) My Birthday. 2) Daddy's Day Eve.

It really was fabulous fun, and the boys just Hee-Hawed over it all. Man, those were some good times! The poor Mrs. tolerated it well, and did not kill any of us (yet). I would tell the boys that they should get their Daddy's Day Stockings all filled up with goodies and ready to present to me...and that they should go to bed early, so they wouldn't miss even one moment of great tributes to their Daddy the next day.

Then I would always top it off with, "No...don't go to bed early...what we need to do tonight is burn the "Daddy's Day Log," and sing our Daddy's Day carols while we wait for the stroke of midnight."

Well, one of my boys took that to heart. Even though he knew I was joking around, #3 Phillip, who is currently in US Army Basic Training at Fort Benning, GA, decided to actually make a "Daddy's Day Yule Log." This is it.



Bless his heart, he was probably about 7 years old, and had gotten a woodburning set for Christmas. He found a piece of a tree limb in the yard and went to work making me a "Daddy's Day Log." (I'm sure there was much help/supervision from The Mrs. on this one)

Except for my wedding ring, this is my most prized possession. I keep it wrapped up in plastic, and pull it out every Daddy's Day Eve.

Man...I miss those days...and him...and all of them...and...

5 comments:

  1. I hope your stocking gets filled with good stuff.

    Happy Pa's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks TD. I mean it.

    It's already overflowing with good stuff. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That log is the best!

    Happy Father's Day; I think you've got a lucky set of kids to have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Staci. I mean it. I'll admit to "trying." But they aren't half as lucky as I am.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?