Friday, July 31, 2009

Why it matters...




There has been an explosion of blog posts (on right wing blogs) over the last few weeks about the foolishness of pursuing the fact that President Obama may not be qualified to hold the Office of President due to his Constitutionally mandated "natural born citizen" status...or lack thereof.

The thrust of most of these posts is just shut-up and leave it alone. You "birthers" are making us look like lefty Moonbats. Go after Obama on his policies, etc. But I believe that Obama's policies are inextricably tied to his roots. I am not defending the "birthers," or dis'in' 'em either. I am just saying that I understand "why it matters," at least to what I believe to be the majority of them.

I have made mention of it two or three times on this meager blog, but haven't made a big deal out of it. I have, however commented on many threads on various blogs. I hope I have made it clear that I realize "this ain't going nowhere," and also that "it matters." It matters to me because our founders were wise men. And they feared the day that someone with "divided loyalties" would lead the nation...someone without a truly American foundation, and American DNA.

I am going to link to a piece at the American Thinker by James Lewis. Lewis explains my thoughts much better than I can. You know the old expression, "I couldn't have read it better myself."

From the article:

No judge is going to question the Constitutional qualifications of an elected president. I'm sorry, but that's the practical reality. The judge is going to follow stare decisis -- the sheer weight of commitments that cannot be reversed without creating chaos. Once the political system of the United States, the voters, the media, and the politicians themselves are all committed to the proposition that Obama is president, trying to reverse it would mean riots in every city in the nation.

And yet the Obama "birther" debate is important. What's important about it is the feeling a growing number of Americans have in their bones that Obama is foreign -- to our traditions, loyalties and shared understandings about the nature of America. In a way the legal debate matters less than that bone-deep sense that Obama is fundamentally "Other than American." Entire Article

3 comments:

  1. I read this earlier and didn't say anything but, when I woke up from a nap, I remembered this bit:

    "...Obama is foreign -- to our traditions, loyalties and shared understandings about the nature of America."

    Not really. Those traditions etc are only shared by us old-fashioned curmudgeons and we're in the minority now. In cities, Obama's way is the norm. In San Francisco, I was the abnormal one which is why I had to leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My biggest fear is that Patrick is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate the direction our Government is going and I sure as heck don't balme it all on Barry. All you have to do is remember what happened when a politician with great skills and power pushed through all the Kennedy legislation that JFK coun not. LBJ dang near ruined this palce and about every 30 or 40 years we have to wake the people up and show them the way to smaller Government, less spending and tax cuts. All the talk about Barry's birth certificate is directly proportionate to his falling popularity. MUD

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?