Tuesday, November 10, 2009

We never had a little girl...

I got a computer letter from an old friend a few weeks back. His daughter (one of his two daughters) is to be married soon. She is a beautiful, intelligent, accomplished young lady. She is marrying a very handsome young man...also with good looks, and great prospects/ambitions for the future.

It seems that my friend will be officiating at the ceremony. I just don't know if I could do it! I am positive that I would go all "jelly-legged," and require an ambulance!

As all 12 of you know, The Mrs. threw four boys. In fact, she often says, "The reason I had four sons, is because I wanted one daughter!" Figure it out...

But, loving family and friends assured us, "if you have four sons, eventually you will have four daughters." I'm so very grateful to God that he gave us boys. I just don't know if I could bear to "give away" a daughter to some nasty old male person (like me, or my boys), much less invoke the blessing of God on the deal.

Anyway...after an e-mail from my friend today, I got this "blessing song" stuck in my head. At my eldest son's wedding, #2 son (the Best Man) proposed a toast. He said, "May God bless and keep you always. May your wishes all come true. May you always do for others, and let others do for you. May you build a ladder to the stars, and climb on every rung. And may you stay forever young."

Okay...I know that Dylan is a nut-job, and Joan Baez is a commie-lib (that doesn't mean that I don't have about 8 CDs with her music...I'm a fan...can't help it), but I just had to post this video.

Dylan wrote this as a blessing for a baby. But no matter how old they get, they'll always be our babies.

5 comments:

  1. I balled like a baby when I 'gave away' my first daughter. Wish me luck... :>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a 24 year old daughter working on her Masters degree (Her and her mother: same degree, same program, same class. Whew!) living at home said she's never leaving and never getting married. The only problem I see is lack of grandkids! BTW, she turns 25 a month after I turn 50. She rubs it in that I'll be twice as old as she is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, that's 2 of your posts this morning that made me tear up, Andy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Paul, there were a couple of tear-jerkers.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?