Thursday, January 31, 2013

Just a little news from my war boys...

.

Hey y'all!  Hugs, kisses, yada yada yada...

This is post #2997, and counting up to 3,000 strikeouts before we call it a career, btw.

Got some news from the boys in Afghanistan.


My Soldier, #3 son, is doing well.  His Reserve Unit (704th Engineer Co.) has been in country for almost a month now, and their deployment is going well.  We're able to communicate with him every few days either on Satellite Phone, Facebook, or Skype.


This is a photo that someone posted on the Unit's Facebook Support page.  This was before their departure from Ft. Bliss.  That's Phil on the right (front), sporting his standard "dookie-eatin' grin."  I know he's thinking that he wished he was carrying the big gun.  (He's always suffered from weapon envy).


His Unit has enough missions behind them now (Route Clearance) to know where they are.  And, the consensus is that they're well prepared for the job.



Man, they grow up fast, don't they??? 

Fortunately, he hasn't had any Medic work to do on his troops.  He has treated several Afghan citizens (vehicle accidents, etc.), but to this point, his troops have all been fine.  Thank God.

----------------------------------

In other news, my Airman (eldest son) will be wrapping up his current deployment in about a month.  He's attached to the 361st Expeditionary Reconnaissance Squadron.  This will probably be his last deployment.  

He wanted to change jobs, due to changing needs in the USAF.  He likes his linguist/cryptology gig, but the times they are a'changin'.  He applied for the new USAF Cyber Command, and was accepted!  Great news!  He'll be stationed permanently (hopefully) at Lackland (fingers crossed).  He'll be much closer, so we can visit him, and make his life miserable again!

Well, that's about it.  I just wanted to give a little update, and to thank you all once again for your love, support, and prayers for my warriors.  

It means a lot.








10 comments:

  1. Love, support and what passes for prayer in these parts are on-going. I'll say it again: please pass along my thanks to The Boys.

    The Cyber Command gig sounds like a good one. I know from reading my AFA Daily Reports that Big Air Force is putting a LOT of emphasis in this area and has been doing so for a while now. And San Antonio is one whole hella lot better place to be than Omaha. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buck, "what passes for prayer" is greatly appreciated. You have no idea.

      Oh, wait. You do!

      As to Cyber Command...Bossier City, The State of Louisiana, and various entities spent double-digit Millions of American dollars building the Cyber Innovation Center, with hopes of landing the HQ of AF Cyber Command at Barksdale.

      Sigh...

      Lackland got it.

      Not all that bad, though, on a personal level. If Dean had been presented with the option of having to move back within 2 miles of Mom & Dad, he'd probably have quit the AF, or put in for a transfer to Minot.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I remember reading about the Barksdale Cyber-Center and the competition to see see who would host 24AF. AFA really does keep me in the loop... sorta.

      As for Dean opting for Minot over Barksdale... you KNOW my feelings in that space. Nevah hoppen, Gee-Eye.

      Delete
  2. God bless them both Andy, y'all did good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the blessings of God, Jimbo.

      But...naw...THEY did good.

      Delete
  3. I pray for his safe return. Lackland and Kelly, my old stomping grounds in the 80's when I and another trooper took care of all the data lines on those 2 bases. We were stationed and worked out of a computer room on Kelly, but made many trips over to Lackland where I felt like a general with my 4 stripes and the young recruits looked at me with respect, awe and fear. The same as I was after the drill instructors had put the fear of God in us. But I always tried to keep them from thinking of me that way. One day as I was walking thru the processing center where they had all the cutting edge pictures of the newest technologies in the AF I noticed a picture that had been taken of me in our experimental computer/Modem center. Looked real high tech. That was where we had those super high speed modems. We even had one that ran the super fast speed at the time of 36K. it took 4 transmit pairs and 4 receive pairs. When I left we had been briefed on a new technology that was coming in the next year, 1988 called the LAN. Imagine going from a modem hardwired from point to point to being able to hop on a network and go just about anywhere you wanted. I forget what was the almost president that created that? If also brings back memories of basic training. Did i ever tell you how I qualified marksman at the firing range. Even after I ran out of bullets, my target was still being hit. Unfortunately the trooper next to me didn't even qualify. I wander what happened. And the guys from California who had never seen an armadillo before. They wanted to know if they could catch it. Sure I said, just watch the claws. They decided not to attempt it. Oh well enough reminiscing. I need to get back to this paper work. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to hear that your boys are doing well. I love the grin on #3's face. Lackland will will be a fun place to visit for all of you. By the way, Jesse is still single...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Man they grow up fast don't they???"

    Our son, who's 52 now, did his basic training at Lackland back in the early '80s. They do grow up fast.

    Andy, thanks to your boys for their service. Glad to see they're doing well. Joyce and I wish them Godspeed and a safe return.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?