Tuesday, December 2, 2008

AAAAAHHHHH....THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

I remember when I was a little kid sitting in a rickety old lawn chair, under a big oak tree in Dubberly, Louisiana with my Papaw, his brothers, and a bunch of other old men I didn't really know. It was probably about 1965.

And it was probably in July or August. It was as hot as the bad place, and mosquitoes were everywhere (for some reason they like little kids better than old guys).

They were talking about this and that. They were drinking some canned drink that they wouldn't let me try. Looking back, I think it was Falstaff. (but Papaw would let me chew Red Man when we were riding in the truck if I promised not to tell Momma & Daddy) I hadn't ever heard some of the words they were using, but everybody seemed to be laughing pretty good.

But my Papaw said a word that I had heard. He was telling something funny, and used the word "politician." I had heard that word before, so I asked Papaw what a "politician" is.

He told me "A politician is somebody that's got nothin' to do, and all day to do it in! Every once in a while they go to the Lion's Club and give speeches to the businessmen. Sometimes they go cut ribbons when a new shopping center opens up. Sometimes they go to the high school football game and shake hands with the crowd. And sometimes they go up to Washington and do nothin' up there instead of doin' it at home."

I sure wish it was the good old days. It seems like our politicians now have a way bigger "to do list" than back then. Seems like they set their cap every day to screw with us...raise our taxes...pass laws that make it hard to do business...spend our taxes bailing out ignorant idiots...badmouth our military. It seems like they spend every waking moment trying to ruin our lives. I wish they'd go back to just doin' nothin'.

I really miss my Papaw. We were friends, and he died when I was 29. Daddy & Momma named me after him (Andrew, not "Papaw") But I'm kinda glad he's not alive to see these "Bad New Days" politicians.

3 comments:

  1. Your grandfather's name was pronounced in the Southern vernacular as "Pa (short A) paw," right? Not Paw-Paw.

    Mine was "Pop," and he was a really good dude, but died when I was nineteen. Seems like the world didn't go to the bad place until he was gone. Coincidence? Hardly.

    Did yours give you a Buck or a Case three blade pocketknife when you were too young to have it? And what about those Co-op hats? Man, those were ugly, but I still wore mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Dogs, You're right, short "a".

    Old Timer.

    You're right about it not being a coincidence either. I'm seriously glad those old guys didn't have to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, it was an Old Timer. I had forgotten all about those and now I have to go into my attic to get that box of pocketknives down.

    Good memories, dang good memories.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?