Thursday, March 26, 2009

CAN CONGRESS KEEP IT'S COTTON-PICKIN' HANDS OFF ANYTHING???

I'm sure that when Madison and the Framers were crafting the most ingenious document in the history of human civilization, that this is exactly what they envisioned to be the job of elected representatives.

Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1

WASHINGTON (AP) — Everyone from President Barack Obama on down to fans has criticized how college football determines its top team. Now senators are getting off the sidelines to examine antitrust issues involving the Bowl Champion Series.

The current system "leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year," the Senate Judiciary's subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights said in a statement Wednesday announcing the hearings. (whole article)

Allright look...I am just as least a fan of the BCS as the next guy, but gimme a freakin' break! Now, before you accuse me (as one friend already has) of being a BCS toadie, let me fully disclose that I am an LSU homer, and an SEC homer. And as we all know the SEC champ is an auto-in...and rightly so in my humble expert homer opinion.

I have yearned for a playoff system to determine the champ. If for no other reason than I'd get to watch more games! But this is not the kind of thing that Congress should be messing with. I didn't even know that there was such a thing as " the Senate Judiciary's subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights." But I don't think college football should be regulated by it.

In fact, I would challenge Senator Orrin Hatch, R-Utah (whom I like and respect) to point to the specific clause in the US Constitution that would even allow congressional action. I know that Hatch got the reds when Utah got shafted by the BCS...and I wouldn't blame him. I didn't agree that they were one of the two best teams, but I ain't a Utah homer like him.

When will Congress ever, ever, ever find some one thing they don't want to lord over? Is the NCAA financed by the federal government? Certainly, most of their schools receive federal funds...so maybe there is congressional authority to direct their athletic events. But even if the authority is there, this is a bad idea.

In fact, if I were the NCAA, and such legislation is passed, I would tell Congress to bite me...and fight it all the way to the SCOTUS. I'd tell 'em that this is our game...it don't belong you...we will decide how to handle our business...go fix our nation's quadrillion dollar debt would ya?

Hatch wants to lord over the NCAA because of one season where his boys got stiffed. I'll tell the NCAA...If you let Congress do this to you, they will just keep on coming back. I can just see it...

3 seconds on the clock in the 4th...Utah down 21-20...Utah lines up for a 32 yard field goal to win the playoff-decided-national championship...the snap...the kick...the ball sails wide right of the goal post by inches.

LSU WINS!!! LSU WINS!!!

Two days later, Orrin Hatch introduces legislation to make the goal posts 3 feet wider...I'm tellin' ya', when you let 'em start... Heck, why doesn't Congress decide some really important stuff, like make a law to move the basketball goal up to 12 feet, or move that three-point-line out another foot or two...or why not mandate all college baseball stadiums to be uniform in size...to make it "fair."

Look...I want to see a playoff system to decide #1. But I promise you that if Congress figures out how to do it, it will suck! This is something that the coaches, college presidents, and fans should figure out...not those morons in Washington. Sorry Orrin, I don't really think that you're a moron...you're just not thinking rationally on this one particular subject.

2 comments:

  1. Andy: This is nothing new. Congress conducted hearings years ago (I know cuz I watched them on C-SPAN believe it or not) on the fairness of the BCS. The system sucks. It is rigged to favor only a select few teams. It's pure evil. But I agree with you that anything that Congress comes up with will likely be much worse...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dadman, you are right, it's a rigged deal. A playoff has gotta happen eventually, and as a fan of the game...and one known to pull for the underdog often, it's got my vote.

    But it just really fries me that Congress CAN NOT LET ANYBODY DECIDED ANYTHING FOR THEMSELVES!

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?