Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WHAT'S IN A (FIRST) NAME???

Last night I posted a video of Patsy Cline, and said that it was "Patsy time." I've been thinking about how many musicians, artists, actors, political leaders, etc. that our brains associate with just "they front name"...you don't even need "they back name" to make an association.

Vincent, Ronny, Jimmuh, Rock, Claudette, Charlton, etc.

So, I decided to drag out a list of singers from that piece of my brain that enjoys singing. Look at the list, and ask your brain who that is Andy is thinking of...or what does that front name bring up in that part of your brain.

I will clue y'all in that my taste in music is (let me get my word book...) eclectic. It's like the chick from the chicken-wire bar in "The Blues Brothers," who said, "we have both kinds of music...Country, and Western!" Actually my taste is a little bit broader than that...so, you're clued in.

Just a little quiz. There are no wrong answers. Well, there really are...

1) Patsy (Okay, that one's obvious since I already told y'all that one. Consider that a sample front name question).

2) Bob

3) Doris

4) Willie (If you said Boxcar Willie, your Momma shoulda thrown you from the train).

5) Mick

6) Mickey

7) Charlie

8) Ella

9) Patsy (oh crud, I already did that one...never mind)

10) Don (This is my cleverly devised "trick question." I've got two up there in that part of my brain that connect...heh! I'm tricking myself I reckon)

11) Jerry (If you guessed "Garcia," you obviously don't know me well).

12) Jerry Lee (a clue for #11)

13) Sam (Anybody that guesses this one correctly wins a free trip to Maui).

14) Stevie (I'll give you a clue...it ain't the weird chick...have you looked at her recent stuff on PBS???)

15) Frank (Because I love y'all, I'll tell you that it ain't Zappa)

16) Joan

17) Freddie (If you said, "Fender," go directly to Juarez...do not pass GO, and leave your passport at home). Just as a side note/clue...the Freddie I think of shoulda got his teeth fixed with as much money as he made.

18) Elvis (He actually ain't one of my favorite singers, but I figured y'all could use an easy one).

19) Buddy

20) Al (Very clever clue...he's a "COLOR-ed fellow").

Well, that's my quiz. Y'all probably figured most of 'em out. My brain truly does associate my favorite singers with their front names. I know it's kinda like when y'all hear the name "Andy." I'm sure y'all all immediately think of me, and what a wonderful human I am, and how much you love me.

There's a lot in a first name.

8 comments:

  1. 1) Patsy Cline

    2) Bob Dylan

    3) Doris Day

    4) Willie Nelson

    5) Mick Jagger

    6) Mickey Gilley

    7) Charlie Daniels

    8) Ella Fitzgerals

    9) Patsy Re-Cline

    10) Don McClaine

    11) Jerry Falwell

    12) Jerry Lee Lewis (BTW Jerry Falwell and Jerry Lee Lewis are cousins, so this really was a clue for 11!)

    13) Sam Cooke

    14) Stevie Nix, Wonder

    15) Frank Sinatra

    16) Joan

    17) Freddie Mercury

    18) Elvis (He actually ain't one of my favorite singers, but I figured y'all could use an easy one).

    19) Buddy Holley

    20) Al Green

    NOW FOR MINE.....

    1. Jimmy (Also known as the Schnoz)

    2. Charles Hardin

    3. Tony

    4. Harry

    5. Michael (Think Jazz)

    6. Diana (Nothing to do with whales)

    7. Norah (Ravi's Daughter)

    8. Astrud (Think Girl from Ipanema)

    9. Peter, Paul and Mary's last names.

    10. Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot 16 and Presley

    16. Baez

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ain't worried about the spellings, either.

    1) Patsy Cline
    2) Bob Dylan
    3) Doris Day
    4) Willie Nelson
    5) Mick Jagger
    6) Mickey Gilley
    7) Charlie Daniels
    8) Ella Fitzgerald
    9) Patsy Cline, again.
    10) Don McLean
    11) Jerry Reed (HA!)
    12) Jerry Lee Lewis
    13) Sam Cooke or Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs
    14) Stevie Steveland Morris
    15) Frank Sinatra
    16) Joan Baez?
    17) Freddie Mercury
    18) Elvis Presley
    19) Buddy Holly
    20) Al Greene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walt...good catch! But I didn't know that Jerry Falwell could sing. I think you're thinking about Jimbo Swaggart...but close enough.

    You picked up Joan Baez like a pro, hit Wonder on the head, voted for the Chairman Of The Board, and know how much I love COLOR-ed guys.

    Okay, so for yours...

    Jimmy...Durante

    Charles Hardin...Buddy

    Tony...Bennett

    Harry...Chapin

    Michael... J. Foxx? Murphy? (Murphy woulda been mine)

    Diana... (I'm clueless...maybe I'm not old enough...)

    Norah... Jones, maybe?

    Astrud... "Tall and tan, and young, and lovely." I've got no idea who Astrud is...you're old.

    Okay, so I admit I looked up Peter, Paul, and Marys' last names. Never knew that. I actually started to put "Peter" on my list...but it would have been for Peter Frampton.

    Man...the stories I could tell about the cassette tape of Peter Frampton playing in the "stalled" Dodge Dart...

    Finally your last "Jimmy." I'm thinking Jimmy Rodgers, or Jimmy Boyd (who passed away yesterday...I heard that on the radio this morning), or Jimmy Reeves. I actually almost put "Jim" on my list, but I got tired of it.

    Wait...I've got it "Jimmy Dean!!!" Big Bad John!!! Gotcha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two Dogs...mostly spot on...

    Crap...I forgot about Jerry Reed. I wore out an Amos Moses 45, and got in a wreck in the theater parking lot after watching "Smokey and The Bandit."

    It was Sam Cooke. Man, you must be old to remember the Pharoahs...

    And you did hit Joan Baez right between the eyes. I know you put the little question mark thing in there...but you ventured a guess...so, you get to go to Maui!

    So far, you and Walt have both won the free trip to Maui. Since the correct answer has already been posted, the offer for the free trip is now closed.

    I can only afford to send one couple.

    You and Walt will have a lovely time together, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana Ross? Sorry, I can't get WHALES outta my head.

    And thanks for the trip, just one question, is Walt, you know, HAIRY?

    (Dude, I just can't stand that crap.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two Dogs: Man, I don't know why I didn't think of Diana Ross. Well, probably because she's not one of my favorites. I leaned more toward Martha Reeves, or Ronnie Spector... Sigh...

    Walt may disown me. Double Sigh...

    Of course it's Diana Ross.

    And nooooo!, he's not "hairy." The travel coupons are in the mail.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?