Wednesday, June 3, 2009

OKAY, AN ANCIENT RIDDLE...JUST TO BREAK UP THE FRUSTRATION...

If you can answer this riddle you will win you a big ol' prize...yet to be determined...but you'll like it. Trust me.

If you know the answer to this riddle, please do not comment.

See what I just did? Nobody will comment anyway, so I've just shielded myself from "rejection." Nyuk. If you know it, and just can't stand not to let me know, please e-mail me. I will personally acknowledge your brainiac self with a big old wet-mouth kiss. (That ought to cut down on the e-mails)

On to the riddle:

You are walking down a path in the forest, and you come to a fork in the road. You are desperate to get to a village with an inn to rest your weary head (preferably one with a jacuzzi in every room, eat some Burger King fries, and hook up your laptop to check on business. ...Okay, that's not all in the "ancient" version of the riddle).

One path leads to "nowhere." The other path leads to a village with a Motel 6 (Okay, no jacuzzi, but it'll do), a Burger King, and taxpayer sponsored wi-fi. You really want some fries, a soft bed, and your Google... (once again, not in the original riddle).

At the fork in the road you encounter two brothers that perpetually stand at said fork in the road. One brother ALWAYS tells the truth. The other brother ALWAYS lies.

You need to find out which path leads to Motel 6, and which leads to something akin to "camping." (trust me, Motel 6 is better than camping). You are allowed to ask ONLY ONE QUESTION of either brother. Remember now...you're getting tired, hungry, and desperate for some YouTube. You can only ask ONE QUESTION. And that question can only be directed to ONE BROTHER.

What question would you pose in order to get a good night's sleep, eat some fries, and check your e-mail?

4 comments:

  1. Ummmm, ok, I don't know the answer.

    Keee-rap, now I'll be up all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard this one....

    I guess that I would ask either brother....

    "'which fork would your brother tell me to take to reach the inn?" Of course, you would then take the opposite fork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first question that I came up with was "While pointing down the road, is this the correct road to take?" But, that seemed to NOT work.

    Here's what I got after a little (read "turning my brain inside out") thought. You pick a brother and ask him which road the brother would tell you to take and then take the other road. If you asked the truth teller, he would point to the wrong one, and if you asked the liar, he would LIE and point to the wrong one. That works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um....'Which path would your brother tell me leads to the Motel 6'...

    If you asked the lying brother (of course you don't know which one that is) he would have to tell you the opposite of the correct path (the answer his truthful brother would give) since he always lies.

    If you asked the truthful brother he would also point to the path that doesn't lead to the Motel 6 (since he is telling you what his lying brother would tell you).

    In both cases the question reveals the incorrect path. Your course would be to take the opposite and enjoy your evening surfing the internet in a tepid jacuzzi...

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?