Sunday, November 22, 2009

Seeing as it's Sunday, I'm pondering whether I should repent...

A few days ago, I posted "A Prayer For Obama." You'll remember (if you read it), that a friend of a friend had seen a bumper sticker that said, "Pray for Obama. Psalm 109:8".

And, you will remember that Psalm 109:8 reads, (KJV)"Let his days be few; and let another take his office."

Well, it seems that this "Pray for Obama, Psalm 109:8" campaign has caught the attention of Kathleen Falsani over at USA Today. (That's that free newspaper they give you when you stay in a motel...even Punjabi motels).

After I read her piece, it got me to thinking whether I should repent for posting something that might make Jesus unhappy.

She writes, "Aha! So, they're praying for Obama's tenure to be a short one. Fair enough. But what does that really mean?

A clue may be in the verses of the 109th Psalm that follow verse 8:

May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.

May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven from their ruined homes.

May a creditor seize all he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.

May no one extend kindness to him or take pity on his fatherless children.

May his descendants be cut off, their names blotted out from the next generation.

May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the Lord; may the sin of his mother never be blotted out.

May their sins always remain before the Lord, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

In that context, are these folks actually urging us to pray for Obama's death?

(The crashing sound you just heard may have been Jesus hurling his stapler across the office in frustration.)



Now, first off, I don't think Jesus has a stapler. He was a carpenter, and well acquainted with nails. They didn't use staple guns back in His time, and I know that He doesn't just shuffle papers around in an office now.

So, I'm pondering whether or not it is in some way hurtful to Our Lord if I pray that Obama's "days in office are few?" I'm thinking "Naw!" I mean, I know that nobody gets installed in a place of leadership without the nod of the Father. And, I know that God gives us leadership that we deserve. But, should that prohibit me from asking my Heavenly Father to make the pain short?

Now, when it comes to the verses that come after Psalm 109:8...well...I couldn't pray that BozO would suffer such things. I mean, I couldn't pray that those cute little girls would be "wandering beggars," or that no one would ever "take pity" on those girls. Heck, I've got plenty of pity for them myself!

Take a letter Cathleen: "THOSE. OTHER. VERSES. ARE. NOT. ON. THE. DANGED. BUMPER. STICKER." Type that up, three copies, and leave one on my desk."

But, for some reason, this Cathleen Falsani seems to think that all of the rest of those verses are wrapped up in one. She writes, "Whether it's clever, funny or downright dangerous is a matter of opinion. Clearly, though, it's certainly not very nice."

"Not very nice"? Really? I'm wondering if this Falsani chick never prayed to have a situation resolved for the best...even if somebody lost their job over it.

Truthfully, I felt a tinge of conviction when I read her post. But I reckon I won't feel bad about praying that Obama is a one-termer. Of course, I don't want him dead, because then we've got an even bigger moron in charge (we're looking at you, Joe). And, I certainly don't want "his memory cut off from the earth!" I want everybody to remember Obama forever, and hopefully learn something...

Ahhhh...it always helps me figure out a conundrum if I write it all out.

7 comments:

  1. Andy, I spent a couple of minutes which I will never get back researching that name "Falsani" - and I came up with a blog written by "Cathleen Falsani" who says she had a one-on-one sit down with Obama in 2004 and she questioned him about religion.

    http://www.godgrrl.com/obama-on-faith

    I've just skimmed it, but please read the response to the question "Do you pray often?" and see if you find something um, let's call it remarkable and telling in the respoonse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. Are you talking about: "I think I have an ongoing conversation with God. I think throughout the day, I’m constantly asking myself questions about what I’m doing, why am I doing it." ?

    Dang Staci, I'm saving this to go back for a closer look. Thanks, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am talking about exactly that. Didn't have to read farther than the first paragraph to get a really bad taste in my mouth....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that Cafe Press has discontinued all their Psalm 109:8 merchandise. PC triumphs again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Andy, I sent that to you kind of tongue in cheek. It was kind of funny! Seriously though, if you look hard enough, and don't look at the big picture, you can find verses in the Bible to support anything you want. Just look at some of these neo-nazi pinhead groups and the kkk idiots. Those morons use the Word or very small parts of it to justify what they do.
    My belief is that all the books and verses are related and intertwined and need to be read and interpreted as such. I just found that one verse somewhat amusing in this day and age! Not really wishing any bad luck or any ill will on our C.i.C, just hoping for 1 term.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah Paul, I understand. I think we are in agreement. I've seen the Bible twisted like a pretzel often.

    But, I'm praying for one term for The One.

    Buck, I appreciate the heads-up. I read some of the CafeDePressed statements...LAME! I'm gonna keep praying anyway, even if they say it ain't cool. Hey, they are in biness to make money, and I have zero problem with that...take the pulse of your customers, and act accordingly.

    I just found a verse from the scriptures that I'm thinking about turning into an anti-Obama campaign. It might make me rich! Probably...maybe...probably not. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I like the bumper sticker, and the idea of his being throwd out of office in '12. The damage he's doing at home and abroad is prodigious and will take longer to undo than his moronic mentor, Carter. Screw PC.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?