Monday, January 18, 2010

Do you Gooble Translate?

Hi y'all! Quick note.

I was over at Buck's place this morning, and was reading a post about a note he got in Japanese from an old friend. The translation that Babelfish gave him was not a whole lot of help.

In the comments, someone used "Google Translate," and it was pretty dang close.

Now, I may be the last surviving internet user that did not know that The Gooble has such a service. So, I took the note that Buck had posted, and used several online translation services. Many were not even as good as Babelfish had come up with.

I got curiouser (Is that a word? Hey, there's no red line underneath it...so it must be). In the sidebar of this puny blog you will see an example of Chinese writing (I think it's called hanyu pin-somethinoranother...but don't quote me). This came to me the day after my beloved LSU Tigers were defeated by the worthless, miserable, PiSU Lions. Sigh.

Having only ever used Babelfish, I busted it out, and this is what you get:

"Because LSU is fearful at the rugby, I smile! And, you suck!"

Now, LSU can be pretty "fearful" sometimes...but I was sure that something had been lost in the translation.

So, I went to Gooble Translate this morning, and got this:

"Because LSU is terrible at football, I laugh! And, you suck!"

I have an idea that that's what the chink meant. Don't ya' just hate it when a chink is right?

Regardless, I thought I'd pass along the tip about Gooble Translate, just in case there is anyone as ignorant as me that didn't know about it.

Later, Andy

6 comments:

  1. It's on the Gooble Toolbar, Andy. Along with other highly useful tools for blogging purposes. Welcome to the age of electricity. Quit kicking and screaming, this dragging doesn't hurt that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on the Google "what-bar?" I might need to get me one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out, Andy. I used the Babelfish translation in that post for comic effect... it was just SO bad.

    And Occasional Reader Bec is just full of good tips; I've learned a lot from her.

    veriword: acias. Which, according to Google-translate, is Hebrew for "acias." Strangely enough, it's the same in Filipino, and Czech, and...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh! I didn't pick up on the "I did it on purpose" deal, but now it makes sense. It was BAD. Nyuk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm worse than any of ya... I tried to get to gooble.com and got this: "Firefox can't find the server at www.gooble.com."

    I guess I'll never figure out this electric stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nyuk!

    Well Cosmic, I guess you just ain't as computer litrit as the average bear. ;)

    I guess I need to work on my speling.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?