Monday, March 3, 2008

Frrrrrrroooooggggggg Strangler!

Whew! I've seen some heavy rain, and this one is in the top two or three.

The weather folks were forecasting 50 mph winds, golf-ball-sized hail, and tornadoes. Thank God we just got several inches of rain!

I was caught out on Youree Drive when it hit. If you don't live here, you don't know that Youree Drive is famous for poor drainage. Everybody was driving in the "center, left-turn lane" because it's the highest spot on the street. That is okay, except that people driving both north and south are in the same lane coming at each other.

It was okay dodging people coming right at you, but then disaster struck! What do you do when you hear a fire truck siren, and see an ambulance in your rear-view? Well, of course, you're supposed to pull to the right to let them pass. You know right off that nobody else is going to pull to the right into the swimming pool lanes...so if you do, you might be in the way of the ambulance, and get rear-ended by an ambulance that might be carrying "one of your loved ones," and have your car showed on the local news as "flooded."

But I did anyway. I guess I've been "trained." Obviously everybody else had been trained, too. We all dutifully pulled over into the swimming pool known as Youree Drive. Only a few cars drowned out (mostly really expensive little cars that ride real low).

So, after the fire truck and ambulance passed, we all pulled back to the center, and started dodging one another again.

By the time I got up on I-20 headed home the rain was so heavy that I couldn't even see the guy ahead of me (I'm just assuming that there was a guy ahead of me, since I couldn't see him...but there's a pretty good chance there was a guy ahead of me). I had to get back home by memory, seeing as I couldn't even see the exit signs...but if I know anything, I know how to "get home."

But folks on the streets in Shreveport were good citizens today. I sure hope whoever was in that ambulance is okay.

The rain has finally let up. No hail, or tornadoes here. It was 78 degrees yesterday. The Mrs. got all the grass cut at our house and Daddys' apartments ahead of this big old rain. It's going to be 31 degrees tonight. No hail, no tornadoes...Thank you Lord!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?