Sunday, April 6, 2008

ANNIVERSARY SURPRISE "NIXED!"

Well, tomorrow is the anniversary of the marriage of me and the Mrs. It's not a real "landmark" anniversary. It's our 29th. It ain't like our 1st, 10th, 20th, or 25th.

We have been saving up for our "big 30th anniversary blowout" for a few years. We're not sure where we are going, but we are going somewhere! On our first anniversary we just went home...on our 10th we went to Fort Myers, Florida...on our 20th we went to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico...on our 25th we went to Baton Rouge...the Mrs. Daddy was in pretty bad shape, so we decided to just ramble around close to home. He passed on about a month later.

But I had made a special surprise up for her for our 29th anniversary.

I had gotten a letter in the regular mail with a ditto sheet from Melvins' Motel, Day Spa, and Fish Camp on Lake O' The Pines a few months ago.

According to the ditto sheet, Melvins' place offers fabulous views of The Lake O' The Pines. And it is "only a few minutes away from historic Jefferson, Texas." (That's only a $15 gas-drive away from my house).

The rentals are fixed up with a living room, eat-in kitchen (fully equipped), and a double bed...We could enjoy the views of Lake O' The Pines, cable television, a full kitchen, and fishing! This seemed like the perfect fit for a 29th anniversary. We could watch TV, sleep, fish, and have a fully equipped kitchen to fry the fish up in.

I thought this would be the perfect "get-away" for our 29th anniversary. I was so excited that I called Melvin up and made a reservation for the "Penthouse Suite" (it's the one on top...I figured we could get the best view of the lake from there).

I sent him a money order for $50 to hold the penthouse for us, and swore I'd be there on the 7th of April. Heck...


Wouldn't you know it?...I broke a tooth today! My second from the back tooth on the bottom left (as you're looking at me) broke off, and I am hurting big-time. I can't take off to Jefferson, Texas and even imagine to have a good time...or show the Mrs. a good time in the shape I'm in.

Crud...I gotta find a dentist tomorrow morning. My dentist, Dr. White, died unexpectedly about 6 months ago. He was a good guy...an Air Force pilot in Vietnam...funny as all get-out...and he knew what he was doing with a drill. He got diagnosed with cancer, and was dead in about a month, God rest his soul.

Crud...I had got the truck running really good!

Crud...I lied to Melvin!

Y'all don't tell the Mrs. about her surprise being spoiled please! She'll be more disappointed than she usually is on our anniversary.

I gotta call Melvin...

2 comments:

  1. Well, dang, I didn't steal the photo from you. I think that from this point forward, I'll just post a daily link to your blog with these words, "Here's my daily post."

    Ha, great minds......find a way to drink beer all day long and never have to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TD: I know you didn't steal it from me. You stole it from the same guy that I did.

    Please don't post a daily link to my foolishness. I'd rather keep it a secret.

    As to drinking beer all day and never working...nice work if you can get it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?