Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A BASEBALL PROGRAM RISING FROM THE ASHES?


Hey y'all,

I just have realized that I have been falling down on my job of keeping you updated on the biggest Louisiana sports story since my beloved Tigers whipped "The Ohio State" for the BCS National Championship.

For several years now, since the resignation of legendary baseball coach Skip Birtman in order to become AD at LSU, the program has floundered. The "powerhouse" program just might be back. A month or so ago, LSU was in peril of missing the SEC tournament (again). They were really stinking up the place...I think about 6-12 in the SEC...then it was like a bolt of lightning hit Alex Box Stadium.

The LSU Tiger baseball team has gone on a tear and a half. The Tigers have won 20 straight baseball games. Now, I'm not a big old baseball expert, but if you break off 20 in a row...well...I think you're looking at history there. By winning the SEC Tournament with their 20th in a row, LSU moved to #2 in the AP poll behind #1 Miami (FL).

Going into the NCAA regionals they have tied S. Carolina for the longest winning streak in college baseball history.

An article about the SEC tournament championship win over Ole Miss

HOOVER, Ala. -- Those gold jerseys needed a good washing.

LSU performed its first dogpile in four years and took a cold Powerade team shower after winning its first Southeastern Conference Tournament title since the last glory year of 2000 with an 8-2 victory over Ole Miss Sunday in front of 11,123 at Regions Park.

I hope they haven't shot their wad going into the NCAA Tournament. I guess we'll see. But I would sure like to think that a formerly great baseball program might be catching fire again. Even though I'm not a huge LSU baseball fan, I hate to see any strong athletic program fall apart...kinda like Ohio State football...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?