Tuesday, December 9, 2008

THE END-DEPENDENCE BOWL...

Well, we have always called it the "Independence Bowl" here in Shreveport, but it looks like a good run has ended.

The Independence Bowl, which in the past has featured match-ups such as:

Oklahoma State v. Texas A&M (I was there for that one...all The Mrs.' Okie relatives came down to watch...some of 'em stayed with us...interesting for sure).

Nebraska v. Ole Miss (with Eli on the field).

Missouri v. South Carolina... and Missouri v. Arkansas (cough cough).

LSU v. Michigan State.

Georgia v. Arkansas.

Army (God bless 'em) v. Auburn.

Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Alabama, Air Force, Mississippi State...real football programs...

Not to mention, well I guess I will... My beloved LSU Tigers v. Notre Dame.

has announced that this New Year's Eve, Louisiana Tech will play Northern Illinois?

How greatly thou hast fallen my beloved bowl game!

The Enddependence Bowl has been struggling for a few years now. But just some friendly advice to the Selection Committee. The goal of a bowl game is to:

1) Stay Alive!

2) Bring in huge revenue to the city (hello...all the LA Tech fans live in a 60 mile radius of Shreveport, and the 6-6 Northern Illinois folks are gonna be busy around New Years)

3) Garner a good TV audience... 'nuff said!

4) Not destroy any hope of survival by picking LA Tech and Northern Illinois!

Don't get me wrong. LA Tech has a great program that is coming on strong. Young Derek Dooley (son of legendary coach Vince Dooley of Georgia) is doing a fabulous job. And now that I have finally heard of Northern Illinois, I'm sure they are some really good folks, too.

But c'mon! You're trying to survive here! Invite Southern Miss, or Tulsa, or USL for heaven's sake...somebody that will draw a crowd and a few bucks to Shreveport. Public support is already dropping...quit driving more nails in the coffin.

If this is the end for the Indepence Bowl I will have fond memories. When it began in the '70's, it was set up for the Southland Conference champ to play whoever they could get to come play. A few years later I was working as a photographer for The Tech Talk (the student newspaper at LA Tech) as a photographer.

Tech was in the game that year (I think against Tulsa). It was the year that the "Omar Bradley Spirit of Independence Award" was initiated. General Bradley was there...all dressed up in his uniform, sitting in a wheel chair to receive the award. I have a great 8 x 10 glossy of him that I shot for the paper. I printed an extra copy for me...it is a prized possession.

Over the years the bowl game has brought legendary figures to Shreveport to receive the award. Heck, John Wayne was here one year to receive the Omar Bradley Award.

But it looks like we're winding down here. Northern Illinois?

Well, nothing lasts forever.

1 comment:

  1. I will say this much, the Independence Bowl will only be ten-eleventy times more interesting than the Rose Bowl this year.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?