Wednesday, April 29, 2009

SWEET GRASS, & THE FIRST 'MATER!

Everybody else in the blogosphere is all head-up about Specter (not Phil...it's spelled different) finally acknowledging his true spots (not liver spots - leopard spots). They're all better at that stuff than I am. So, what's going on at Andy's Place? I'm glad you asked!

We have the prettiest pink & white Sweet Grass in our back yard. I threaten every February to put out weed and feed and get rid of the stuff. But The Mrs. always says, "You are not killing it! I like it, and it'll be gone by June anyway." And she's right...it can't stand the heat. I prefer my pretty green San Augustine Grass, but under our current arrangement, she gets her sweet grass until June, and I get my "lawn" later on. I guess we know who the boss is...

I had told y'all about my Rubbermaid Storage Container Tomato Experiment before. As you know, I had to replace some due to Al Gore's Squirrel Brigade. I got one extra, and put it in a big empty planter we had. Got my first 'mater! It's about the size of a grape now. But it's gonna get big! It's a "Goliath-something" variety...I can't barely wait!


9 comments:

  1. I don't know what sweet grass is. From the photo it looks like clover or sorrel. I don't blame the missus. It is pretty. I don't bother to pull out our clover either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick, "Sweet Grass" is what Momma always called it. It's a kind of a clover, but it doesn't make those ugly white tops...just pretty little pink & white flowers.

    The Mrs. says that it's not really clover. There's another name for it that she can't remember...people actually plant it for ground cover, and it grows like weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pretty. My yard doesn't have any :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right! Your yard doesn't have any because I HAVE BEEN IN CHARGE OF YOUR YARD (not The Mrs.) for the last couple of years.

    I'd prefer thick, green San Augustine Grass like yours. But I gotta admit...it is pretty while it's here.

    Plus, "Sweet Grass" needs shade to really flourish...no trees makes for poor conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But it may be oxalis which is yellow in California (and an invasive weed) but it's a pretty pink "wild flower" in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick, I think you've got it! Oxalis!!! I looked at the wiki page for "sorel," and the picture looks nothing like it.

    But the Wiki page for Oxalis is spot on!

    It is "invasive" as you said. When we moved into this house almost 13 years ago, there was a tiny patch that The Mrs. wanted to enjoy...so I didn't kill it with weed killer.

    When she informed me that it wasn't clover, she also told me that the article she read said, "Be careful. It will spread rapidly."

    Sigh. But it is beautiful...kinda reminds you of living in "the country." And it does go dormant when our highs reach into the 90's for a few days (about the end of May).

    That's it though Pat...I'll go tell the Mrs. that she has been "one-upped" by an Oregonian country boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA Patrick!!! I told The Mrs. that Patrick identified it as Oxalis.

    She said, "That's it...oxalis...I couldn't remember the name. Does Patrick know everything?"

    I said, "Yeah, pretty much..."

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?