Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A FINE YOUNG MAN...

...Even if I do say so myself!

My #3 son, 19-year-old Phillip, leaves Bossier City today. He is headed for U.S. Army Basic Training at Fort Benning, GA. I understand that it is a lovely place...ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR!

I am very proud of him. Since about mid-High School, he has known for certain that he wanted to serve in the military...most likely make a career of it. But since graduation, he has struggled with the best option...both for himself personally, and as to how to maximize his talents/abilities for the benefit of the military.

I believe he has made an excellent decision. He is joining the U.S. Army Reserve for now. He will take Basic Training at Fort Benning, and then spend four months at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX, to be trained as a Medic. He will serve with a Reserve Unit in Hot Springs, AR...about a 3 hour drive from Bossier, if all goes according to plan.

After his Medic training, he will return home, and attend college (ROTC) with the goal of entering the Regular Army as an officer after graduation. That's a good plan in my book. He will make a darned good Soldier, and a very fine officer.

We are ALL going to miss him...Me and The Mrs., his grandparents, his aunts & uncles & cousins, his kid brother still at home, his buddies, etc. And we all wish him a good God Bless as he goes.

And I know that he will likely miss us, too. But I have a pretty good idea who he is going to miss the most...








Y'all pray for the boy man...would ya?

10 comments:

  1. Benning? Ewww. San Antonio? Awesome!

    My kid isn't even gone yet, and I already forgot what he looks like. THANK GOODNESS.

    By the way, that does sound like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with all of this - I know you're one proud Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Dogs, I can not imagine a worse place to spend a summer as a 19-year-old than Fort Benning. He should hit San Antonio in early August.

    I have been to San Antonio in early August (when Dean graduated from basic at Lackland), and it is like hell without the perks.

    I will not be able to forget what #3 looks like, because he and Dean are the spitting image of their mother. Funny that! The two ornery warriors look just like her, and the two softies look just like me. Hmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci: Yes ma'am, I am one proud Dad. I often wonder, "where do we find such people?"

    It is often hard to believe that they are the fruit of my "chicken" loins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have every reason to proud, Andy. Your son is a very sensible man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well thank you very much Patrick! I don't know where he got it from. Oh wait, he does have a Momma...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andy: Good thing your boys have a Momma!

    I tip my hat to your son and thank him for his willingness to serve our great country.

    He'll make a fine officer too, I'm sure...a much better ossifer than I ever was...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Dadman! I have passed along good wishes from everyone, and I will do so from you.

    Hey, as far as not being a good ossifer... We certainly all have our stroke to paint in the big picture. If we are wise, we decide not to destroy our own palette by painting anyway. Knowing you, I'm sure you are just being unpretentious.

    Thanks again Dadman. It really means a lot.

    I swore to myself that I would not cry when I told him "goodbye."

    I'm such a softy. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's a fine young man. He'll do you proud, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Mr. Mayor! I believe he will do us ALL (both south & north of the border) proud.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?