Monday, May 3, 2010

For no particular reason... #73 Ladies & Ginnemens, I present "Amos Moses!"

Well, there really is a particular reason.  Or two.

I came across this piece by Jerry Reed that really brought back some good memories.  Jerry was such a "clown" that his sheer musical talent was not often appreciated.  One of the great guitarists of his era!

The video I'm posting is not a song that so much exhibits his skills on the guitar.  If you want to see that, look at "Jerry's Breakdown."  You'll find him one-upping Chet Atkins.

And, just to put an exclamation point on his clowning (especially with Chet Atkins...but also with EVERYBODY ELSE  that mastered that mystery I call a "guitar"), be sure and  search for videos of Jerry playing with Roy Clark.  In my humble expert opinion...two of the most gifted humans I've ever seen with that "mystery" slung over their shoulders.

Anyway, let me get to this all important video.  I wore out two cassettes in my Realistic player (by Radio Shack) of Jerry Reed's tape.  "Amos Moses" was on it.  I can sing it word for word.

But, I won't.  Don't bother to thank me...

5 comments:

  1. Loved those Jerry Reed songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats! I've been meaning to post this as a 'Dadman's iPod Sampler', but never got around to it. Somehow I knew you were a fan of the song. I am too...

    ...an alligator bit it! Nyuk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reed was a real joy to watch, for sure. Not everybody liked his style, but I sure did.

    Post it, Dadman. Others will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He had a good song on the back side of the Amos Moses 45, but for the life of me I can't remember it! I won the 45 when I was a paperboy way, way back when and played both sides until it almost fell apart. I think I still have it somewhere. Man, I wish I could remember the name of that song!! Jerry was also pretty good in the original Smokey and the Bandit (the only good one!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jerry was a great, great guitarist and entertainer.IMHO,there was a kind of wildness, an edge to his guitar playing and his public personality. I was never quite sure if he was going to go over that edge and that uncertainty added a kind of tension or electricity to his performances.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?