Saturday, May 15, 2010

Guitar Wars (now renamed)...Guitar Show!

So, Dapper Dan (who started this whole thing off) has proposed that we change the name to the Guitar Show! Dan makes a compelling argument. Again. His treatise includes references to Bill Veeck, Bob Cain, and a midget...

Hard to argue with that!

But then he threw two giants at us in the persons of George Benson, and Earl Klugh.

As I noted over there at Dan's place, I really had not heard of Earl Klugh.  But, I will state it for the eleventy-fifth time, "I have not heard of a lot of people...especially guitarists."

So, since this is no longer a "war," and just a show, I can go as lame as I want, without fear of defeat.  I love that...kinda like soccer where they don't keep score.

So I'm reaching in to the lame file here, and bringing y'all one of my all time favorites.  See, most folks think that the steel guitar is just a hick, hillbilly, country music must have.  But, not so!   Santo & Johnny are Brooklyn dagos, and they made music history!  Yes, they did.

I know it's "lame," but it must be posted.  This was recorded the year that I was born (1959), and is still very special to me.  I'm gonna show y'all the original, and then a kickin' bluesy version by a really good guitarist  by the name of Danny Gatton (if you skip Santo & Johnny, don't skip Danny...kickin'...seriously), and then the "lyrics."

Did you know that "Sleep Walk" had lyrics?  Yeah, I'll bet you did.  I started not to post the lyrics for a couple of reasons.  But I decided to anyway.

I challenge anyone to not enjoy the simple loveliness...or to fight back their own memories of  "Sleep Walk."

Saturday night's "Guitar Show,"  Santo & Johnny...




Danny Gatton...




Lyrics...

(Don Wolf/Santo Farina/Johnny Farina)

Sleep walk
Instead of dreaming
I sleep walk
'Cause I lost you
And now what am I to do
What to do
Can't believe that we're through
I don't care how much you tell me

Sleep talk
'Cause I miss you
I sleep talk
While the memory of you
Lingers like a song
Darling, I was so wrong
But I'll be right someday

The night
Fills my lonely place
I see your face
Spinning through my brain
I know
I miss you so
I still love you
And it drives me insane

Sleep walk
Every night
I just sleep walk
And when you
Walk inside the door
I will sleep walk no more

Sleep walk
Every night
I just sleep walk
And when you
Walk inside the door
I will sleep walk no more

I will sleep walk no more
I will sleep walk no more

4 comments:

  1. Andy, Wow! Santo and Johnny. 1959. The year you were born? I remember hearing this song in the back seat of my buddy Flash Gordon's 51 Chevy on one of my first dates with the beauty who became my wife. And you were being born that year! Whippersnapper. Great selection for the "Show." And BTW I don't remember any lyrics. My education is now complete!
    The Gatton guy is amazing. And he has a killer first name. Where'd you find him? What else has he done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Dan...you and Flash were buddies, huh?

    I thought that one might evoke some good memories for many. Maybe some sweet, maybe some bitter. (Seems your memories are more sweet than bitter...wink, wink)

    Yes sir, 1959...and you're not the first to call me a "whippersnapper," and I hope not the last.

    Coming across Danny Gatton was just by accident. I was looking for Santo & Johnny's original version, and Gatton was on the YouTube list. He really is an impressive guitarist.

    You can just search on YouTube. There is a treasure chest full of his stuff. Really fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whippersnapper. Heh.

    With all due respect, Santo & Johnny's version is more of a piece. I'd prolly whoop and holler for Mr. Gatton had I been in the audience when this was filmed and had a couple o' three beers in me. But Gatton has some mad fretboard skilz.

    Memories. I was 14 when S&J's "Sleepwalk" hit the charts and had only recently discovered the wonders and charms of the Fairer Sex. There were no back seats for me at that time... but there were the basements (rec rooms, a '50s thang) in my friend's houses, Jr. High dances, and the like. And my first crush, young Pamela Frost... who broke my heart to the tune of "Sleepwalk." (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mad fretboard skills, yep!

    It's amazing, isn't it, how those memories are as clear as yesterday? That one was really a bit before my time, but I knew many of my friends would have fond/or maybe not so much memories of it.

    It is a classic that I've enjoyed my entire life.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?