Sunday, May 30, 2010

Since it's a holiday weekend, I figure y'all are starving for some interesting reading!

So, I figured I'd tell y'all what's going on around Andy's Place. It's all real interesting. Trust me.  You know...I live an exciting life!  It just dawned on me how boring it must be to not be me.

On Friday, The Mrs. and I went to The Wal-Mart to make a few purchases.  Now, what's more exciting than that?  The first thing I picked up was a brand new blade & screen combo for my Remington Microscreen razor!  I'll tell y'all what...there is nothing that makes a face feel better than a brand spankin' new blade & screen combo on a razor!

My old screen had busted a hole in it, and I was ripping my lovely face to shreds for a couple of days.  I'll swear, when I shaved with that new one yesterday morning, I felt like a King.  Royalty, I tell ya'!  A combo is $22.95 at The Wal-Mart, and worth every penny.  Just sayin'...

The Mrs. and I have decided that we need to get in shape, too.  Now that it's good and hot, and the misery of Winter is behind me, I feel like trying to get some of this hibernation blubber off.  So, last week, I moved about 4 tons of crap in the garage, and pulled out the old bicycle. 


It's nothing special...just a cheap set of wheels and gears.  But, everything works on it, and it'll do for gettin' the old heart rate up.  It's got garage crap all over it, but it'll do.  There's only one problem.  When you haven't ridden a bicycle in years, that miserable factory installed seat makes your butt feel like it's been dragged backwards through a knothole.

So, The Mrs. says, "well, we can get a gel-cover for it."  That sounded like a dang good idea!  So, we head on back to the sporting goods department at The Wal-Mart.  Sure enough, they've got gel-covers for those miserable torture seats.  But, I spied something that caught my interest.  They sell something called a "Noseless Saddle" 


See, it's "STRESS-FREE," and it's made by Schwinn.  So, I'm thinking it MUST be good.

Let's just consider this a "product review."  After installing the new "Noseless Saddle," and giving it a whirl, I can say without a doubt that if you don't have one of these on your bicycle, you don't know what you're missing!  I mean, it don't have a "Nose" to mess around with your junk!


See, this is what it looks like.  It looks like something that was made for a butt to sit on...unlike the Factory installed torture seat.  Buy one!  It was $19.95 at The Wal-Mart, and worth every penny.  Just sayin'...

(See, I told y'all this was gonna be interesting.)

I went to the funeral of US Army Spc. Joshua Tomlinson yesterday in Minden.  It was quite a moving and patriotic scene, with probably about a thousand folks standing outside the church holding American flags.  I took some pictures that I'll probably post tomorrow.  I felt a little funny about taking a camera to a funeral.  But, I wanted to chronicle it for my own sake.

Anyway, on Friday, I walked outside, and Sadie just looked like crap!  I looked at her, and said, "Girl...what in the world do you have all over you?"


See!  Look at the highlighted crap there.  I mean, she looks like she's leaking oil, or something!  I'll swear, every time I break out the camera she cows down like she's gonna get a shot, or a fecal test or something.

Anyhow, The Mrs. decided it was time for a stiff brushing, and a bath.  (For Sadie...not me...even though it's not a bad idea.)


She hates to get a bath.  I don't think I've ever seen a lab that hates water as much as Sadie does. 


Don't she purty!!!


And, of course, no good bath is complete without the "doggie shake."  She's so sweet.  Stupid.  But, sweet.

Well, like I said, it's been an exciting weekend so far!  Oh...I have been meaning to link to a piece written by Dapper Dan for a few days now.  If you've suffered through this boring garbage to this point, you are a solid blog friend.  So, let me direct you to an excellent piece of work that you WILL find interesting.

At The Cumberland Post:  Asimov and the BP Gulf Oil Disaster

Well, I've got a bunch of good stuff to show y'all, but I'll wrap it up now, and save it for later.  I love y'all!  I mean, I love each and every one of you.  I hope y'all have a blessed Sunday, and if I don't see you later today, I'll for sure see you on Memorial Day!

10 comments:

  1. You know, I've thought about setting a tub up outside, sort of like Sadie has, for myself, but I think I might have trouble from the lady next door. The Baptist preacher lives right behind me, and he might not be thrilled either.
    I've always believed that cleanliness is next to Godliness, but with the neighbors and the Benton PD I guess I'll just stick to the indoor shower . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is up with that dog and the fear of the camera?

    I have never owned a dog that was weird about getting a bath. I guess I am lucky, but even the short-haired Dachshunds I have owned loved getting a bath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...there is nothing that makes a face feel better than a brand spankin' new blade & screen combo on a razor!

    Ummm... yes there is. NOT scraping your face with small pieces of sharpened steel or buzzing hand-held electrical appliances feels pretty good... better, even. You know... just a hot washrag and soap, followed up with mass quantities of hot water. There... I've gone and proved a negative! They said it couldn't be done!

    My dogs hated baths too. But the Lab would run head first into any OTHER body of water... including puddles, lakes, streams, rivers, or the ocean... unless restrained. The Shepard and the terrier(s) not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim: C'mon! Go for it! I mean, it's Benton for heavens sake...nobody will find it odd at all. ;)

    Paul: It beats the heck out of me. I'll swear, a camera looks like a whippin' stick to Sadie...stupid animal.

    Buck: Don't ask me how it got started. When I was about 16, my Granddaddy bought me an electric razor. I have never shaved with a blade since. All of my sons use a blade...and my Daddy, and two brothers, too.

    And Sadie will run headlong in to water, as long as it is extremely muddy. The animal hates clear water. In fact, after her bath last evening she ran immediately to the only spot in the yard with dirt, and rolled around in it.

    When I pulled out the camera for a final shot, she skulked off into room...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought maybe Sadie had been with Obama for his photo-op poking oil at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed your link to Dan's post because I always enjoy his comments and I wanted to see how Asimov and BP could be used in the same sentence. :)
    It was the best observation to the connection of environmental activist to this disaster yet. Just to add a little, when the green energy narrative began shortly after the election, the Sierra Club and Feinstein, from California, were adamant that no solar panels were to go in the desert, and the people from the NE coast felt the same about wind farms in the Atlantic.
    They want to enjoy the benefits, but don't taint their eyes with the business of making it happen.

    I think a wind farm would be a nice neighbor, if they could made real cute like the ones from Holland.

    Your Sadie must have a past..ya know..maybe in witness protection..don't want any photos.
    think about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andy, I was busy all day yesterday and didn't get to do any blogging. Thanks for the link, I do appreciate it.

    Your post today was exciting by means of that downhome La. magic you work so well. Who else can take a trip to The Walmart and a dog washing and make it into a fantastic read? I especially liked the way you built up to the climax of the piece, Sadie's doggie shake. Got sudsy water all over my keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barry: You hurt my feelings. I would not let Sadie (or any dog, no matter how stupid) get within 100 miles of Obama. But, I got a chuckle...yes, it did kinda' resemble the fake tar balls that ObozO was inspecting. Obviously he has not plugged the hole yet.

    Nancy: Sadie has never been in witness protection, but she has had her nude photos blasted all over the internet by her slavemaster (me). I think she finally got wise to it. She is now "middle-age" in dog years, and probably has tired of being "used." Some gals learn late...As to Dan's piece, I found it to be very good, and wanted to share it with others. Dan is a sharp cat...a very good writer...and his knowledge of poetry, art, motorcycles, country music, ancient Egyptian customs, and botany always provide for an interesting read.

    Dan: Forget what I just said! You are a boring old dude! Nyuk! Seriously, that was a piece that really grabbed me. No need to ever thank for a link...if I link to something it is because I want all 13 of my regular visitors to enjoy it as much as I did.

    As to the "magic" of a weaving a fantastic tale...Sigh...

    Well, ya' know, I do have a nickname that a friend hung on me (stolen from John Wooden)..."The Wizard of Walmart." Sorry about your keyboard. Send Sadie the bill.

    Y'all are ALL great blog friends! I mean, if you all suffered through to the end of that piece...well, I'm starting to kinda' tear up here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you could find a little levity in commonplace things after attending such a solemn event. That's good for the soul.

    And, it's weird. I took a few pics of our black lab a few days ago, sulking beneath the suds, too. He swam and fetched all morning in St. John's Bayou, but just approach him with a hose and a little soap and it's, "Help me! I'm being tortured! Call the SPCA!!"

    My husband had an "interesting" effect from the "nose" of a bike seat while in years of training for triathlons. Let's just say that it's a good thing you opted for the comfy seat (and that he's out of training)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moogie, Nyuk! What is it about soap that our beloved labs shy from?

    As to the "nose" of a bicycle seat...sigh. I was a long distance runner, and ran marathons. The triathlon intrigued me, and I began to train for a local one. I did really well on the bicycle (even though, I think I catch your drift on Pepper's little problem).

    But when it came to swimming...I swam like a rock. Of course at that time I had about 3% body fat. I would jump in the pool, swim for all I was worth, and my feet would hit the bottom of the pool trying to kick.

    Sigh...

    So, obviously you and Pepper had a pretty good "business trip." (wink wink)

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?