Saturday, December 12, 2009

The "Prodigal" Returns...




Well, he's not really a "prodigal" son, but he's coming home! My eldest son, and his wife are scheduled to hit Andy's Place in about an hour and a half.

I'm nervous. I think we all are.

It has been almost 3 years since Dean has been back "home" in Bossier City. He has been studying chink, studying intelligence junk, and studying "survival" stuff for his job in the Air Force. So, he's not like a real "prodigal son" that took his inheritance (which will be a massive amount, btw) early, and spent it all on liquor & wild women, only to find himself in the hog sty.

Nope, he's coming home under much different circumstances than did the "prodigal son." But, I am just as apprehensive as the prodigal's father.

We have spent the great bulk of the afternoon readying the joint for his arrival. I've been getting the apartment ready, cleaning up the bathrooms, sweeping...doing just anything to stay occupied...

Pam is now preparing a good old southern meal...Buttermilk cornbread, purple-hull peas, her world-famous potato casserole, and deviled eggs (Dean's wife's favorite).

All afternoon a song has been going through my head... Back in the early 90's, there was this contemporary Christian song with the lyrics, "I will rise, and go to my Father's house...where there's room, plenty of room! Oh, there's plenty of food at my Father's table, and he will welcome me there."

I looked all over YouTube, and the world-wide computer to find it. FAIL!

But that song was really special to me in the early 90's. At that time, we lived far, far away from "home." Even though I was not a "prodigal" type myself, I would sing that song in my head as we got back close to "home." I knew Momma & Daddy would be waiting with open arms, loving hearts, and plenty of "food." 'Cause there's always plenty of food in My Father's House.

Well, I gotta go. There's more sweeping to do, and I gotta go clean up the toilet in the apartment. Y'all have a good evening. I'll see ya' when I see ya'. I got important junk to do...

3 comments:

  1. Nice pic! That's a handsome young man dressed in a particularly appealing shade of blue. I find it interesting that some things remain the same after all this time... given the pace of change in Today's Modern Air Force (much of said change NOT to my liking).

    Pass my condolences on to Dean for having to endure SERE school. That's one course I'm forever grateful for NOT attending. I've yet to meet the person who said "Great course! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home to the conquering hero, and a hearty "thank you!" for his service. And a Merry Christmas to all of you!

    Oh...Seymour wants to know if he can have a ride in your son's plane. I told him no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who are you to tell Seymour "NO." ? I think you oughta let him ask for himself...my son likes rocks.

    Thanks Skunks, I'll give him a "thank you" for ya'.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?