Saturday, May 8, 2010

Guitar Wars (round tres...still in honor of Cinco de Mayo which must be celebrated)...

Okay, so Dapper Dan decides to throw up a couple more guitarists that I have never heard of. And, it's becoming evident that I am a guitar talent retard.

As if y'all needed any further evidence to make that conclusion...

So, Dan throws a video of Norman Blake.  Pfffft!  I'm not sayin' the guy ain't good.  I mean, I wouldn't throw tomatoes at him or anything...but in my humble expert opinion, he's no better than about a zillion other flat pickers...

Dan...SMACK!

But then Dan throws some "classical guitarist" named Segovia. (I'll bet he's from the Old Country, due to his name.) And, I must acknowledge a true kick to the proverbial groin.  Well done.

However, it occurs to me that in the Guitar Wars, we have not had a real negro blues player.

So, I'm throwing round tres in this fervent battle with a negro in my Army.  You know that no good war can be fought, nor won without a bunch of negroes.







funny animated gif


Find me a guitarist of any race that can make the guitar sing like Mr. Riley King!  I challenge you to do that.  As you listen to Riley play, don't fool yourself into thinking that just anybody could play a song on a guitar, and MAKE YOU sing the words to it.  Nope!

Don't fool yourself...

It ain't gonna happen. 




When I was working "on the road" many years ago, I drove in to Indianola, Mississippi just as the sun was going down. Someone (maybe the City) had erected an enormous billboard that said, "Welcome to Indianola! The Home of The Legend, BB King." I'll swear, that billboard was the biggest thing in four counties.

Indianola, Greenwood, Leland, MS etc...ya' gotta admit that they've got not so much to brag about. (except for the homo muppet guy Jim Henson)...

Still in all, the Itta Bena boy ain't all that bad.

BTW, he's got "sugar." 

This video was shot at "Sing Sing" where it looks like almost everybody is negro.

funny animated gif



7 comments:

  1. Here you go, my contribution.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHp7l4Z_kBw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both good selections, and now mine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz0gyuMxdpU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your input, Gentlemen! Campbell is one of my all-time favorite guitarists.

    I had not heard of Stanley Jordan...unique style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, you should see Stanley do Stairway to Heaven, it is just flat out freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple o' good selections, Andy. Thanks for NOT posting "Thrill," LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy, BB is one hard smack. Like Buck says, we all win in this war. I've always liked BB. And since I'm viewing this on Mother's day, do you know his "Nobody Loves Me But My Mother...And She Could Be Jivin' Too"? BB can lay down some real hard blues...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCccp3qMX8

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck...Nyuk!

    Dan, that was fabulous! Everybody wins, indeed!

    Paul has given me an idea for round quatro.

    ReplyDelete

Don't cuss nobody out, okay?